I've never received a letter. I mean, other than the official documents that school sends or ads type letters. I've sent plenty in my life, over two dozen at the least... but I've never gotten one. Not a single one.
And I was kinda thinking about that this morning as I cleaned my room and found the small pile of stamps I'd been saving just in case I ever got a reply. Haven't had to yet, but maybe one day,
If I should receive a letter
I'd read it, of course, thought I'd probably read it over a few times, maybe several times.
I'd stare at it for a while, because, you know, I've never received a handwritten letter.
I would keep it safe, put it in a box somewhere, maybe hope I can receive more.
If I should receive a letter
I'd write one back
I'd fill several pages, I'd doodle and draw faces
Talk about the places I've been and would want to visit.
I would give the sender the best reply,
I'd take my time
make it worthwhile.
Because you know, I've never received a handwritten letter.
So if I should receive a letter
I'd be blessed to share a part of them
because there's something special in the hand that writes
the smiles that show up on the page, or the tears
that inevitably stain it.
I'd remember that, I'd hold on to that.
And if ever someone sends me a letter
I think, I'd be glad
that someone thought it beautiful
to write in a way that's been lost,
that I am special enough to receive such a work
in a time when nobody has the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment